Monday, February 24, 2014

Are you still a child?



❝ I really didn’t know what to think about the veil. Deep down I was very religious but as a family we were very modern and avant-garde. I was born with religion. At the age of six I was already sure I was the last prophet. This was few years before the revolution. ❞— Marjane, Persepolis: The story of a childhood

Childhood is the most important part of a person's life, it is the time when we imagine our hopes, and our greatest thrills. When I was younger, i saw all things as easy; I rarely had any problem except for toys and friends. Children seldom think of the future; their innocence makes them free to enjoy themselves that few adults cannot. However, some children have to grow up faster than others and Marji was one of them. At a young age, Marji was already exposed to the changing political and social regime in Iran. Compared to other children though, Marji coped with these uncontrollable forces courageously. She dealt with the reality even if she was not fully prepared yet. Yes, sometimes she was confused as to how her parents and friends reacted to the issue because she still possesses the naivety of a child, but she sticked to her naive belief that she sees God; she believed that she was His last prophet, and thus she felt obliged to be the hero to her people. She was a child but was matured enough to understand things. 
Margie at 10, she was already experiencing events that a normal child should not see.
The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind. We start to view things that we used to see simple, as complicated. We start to become more curious in different issues and take some factors into consideration before jumping up on a decision that soon shapes us as an adult. In Marji’s case, her childhood ended when she tried to understand the controversial politics and the reality of her home country. The events of the revolution and the tragic execution of her uncle Anoosh triggered her to finally find her new self - from a religious child who started questioning her previous beliefs, to a "grown up" who abandoned her faith and decided to adapt Marxism. 

P. S I don't think childhood has a complete end.. Why? because we never stop learning from our experiences.

Citations:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjvntOEqmE_AllzyReuU_nOASrFVnQD5uRmhS0agI8guNm2D0IZiXF9GSTNiKdQ0_ti6LTQ2vhkcaSPAb645b5tT10EjESHFzlTlZlrhrzg3mKrUkHao_koNQ06zGLvD08Ymkyo5JAPwJkL/s1600/persepolis-page.gif
http://sheldohm.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/persepolis-book.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I thought your blog post really shed light onto how well Marji felt with the chaos of her situation. You touched on her naivety and how though she dealt with the revolution really maturely she still kept her innocence. I really liked the way your blog post looked too. I liked the pictures and the way you laid it out with the quote coming before your response and some of the words being in bold. Overall i bought it was really nice to read and look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your blog post looks! the pictures gave it a great touch and it was great that you showed the excerpt and explained it underneath. I also liked in the beginning where where you said "when I was younger.." it made the blog seem interesting and I wanted to keep reading more. This blog post wasn't showed as a school work assignment/ wasn't written like and strict essay and thats what I loved !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of your ideas about childhood and growing up. Marji did not grow up like a typical child. She had to mature must faster and barely even had a childhood. I like how you said "The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind." It is really so true because young kids, like Marji, are not supposed to worry about what they will be doing in the future. I also agree with your last sentence about how childhood doesn't really have a specific end because we are always learning. I really liked how you bolded specific words to make them stand out. Your blog does not only have great ideas but is also visually appealing with the pictures, background and color. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your title is what drew me into your blog! I wonder: am I a child? I loved your use of color throughout the blog as well. "She was a child but was matured enough to understand things." I completely agree with this statement. She is a child still because she still doesn't fully understand why she has to do things or what is going on around her, but the circumstances around her had forced her into maturing and acting a certain way.

    ReplyDelete