Friday, March 28, 2014

Deal with it !

Chapter 9-15: How do people cope when their lives are changed by forces they can't control? 

Change is a natural part of life, but accepting a sudden, unexpected change can be one of the most difficult challenges that a person will face in his lifetime. This is because people always want to have control over situations to make life easier. The sad thing is, in reality, there are some forces that we can't control.

A major uncontrollable change besides Baba's later death that Amir is currently dealing with, is his feeling of guilt towards Hassan. Though Amir could have prevented the rape (coz you know Assef, a servant, will always listen to his master), his greed and selfishness was more dominant than his friendship with Hassan. As the story progresses, we see how Amir have attempted different ways to cope up with his guilt. 

 Amir convinces himself that he ran out of fear. “I ran because I was a coward. I was afraid of what he would do to me. I was afraid of getting hurt.” (p. 77)
 Amir convinces himself that Hassan should be his sacrificial lamb because "He (Hassan) was just a Hazara, isn't he?" 
 Amir pelts Hassan with pomegranates because he wants Hassan to hit him back and get his punishment.
 Amir tries to keep himself busy at school to forget his worries.
 Soon enough, Amir devised a plan that made Hassan and Ali leave their household. (Although his guilt only grew more when Hassan admitted to Amir's allegation).

As we move on to the next few chapters, Amir's guilt is still evident from time to time. Even though he found love (Soraya) for the first time, became fully independent after Baba's death, and finally became an established man (writer), he still wonders about Hassan. For Amir, “It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime...” (p. 25)

After knowing Amir's thoughts, the only advice that I could give him is to learn how to accept an uncontrollable change for what it is. Move on! Focus on what you can control, and try to let go of what you can’t! 

                         Deal with it!!!

Citations:
http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/3295919-the-kite-runner
http://heyitsalex.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/funny-pictures-panda-has-technical-difficulties1.jpg

3 comments:

  1. The first thing that caught my eye was the funny photo of the panda. I thought besides the comical background behind it, it does make sense with the blog. This blog overall was great, it showed your viewpoint on the situation, and how everyone has difficult situations in life and we even have to deal with them. The blog was short and to the point. I also liked how you incorporated the bullet point sort of, because then it gave exact parts/quotes from the novel that were the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is a good analysis of how Amir originally deals with his guilt. I agree that for the first part of the book all that Amir does to deal with this guilt is to suppress it and run away from his past. I think that the quotes/moments from the book that you included in this post really emphasize this and help show that Amir does this in multiple ways throughout the book. He runs his life by trying to escape this guilt and bury his past and these quotes are good evidence of that. When you say that Amir should just deal with it, think that that is what Amir is trying to do by returning to Afghanistan and meeting Rahim Khan. He is no longer running away from his past. He is acknowledging it and trying to redeem himself. In my opinion, this is a necessary step to take before moving on-before he can just deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this blog was interesting to look at and read. The photo of the panda is very funny and a great addition. It goes with what you are talking about and I also really like your title "Deal With It" a lot. That is exactly how Amir has to go about coping with the sudden changes that are occurring in his life. He must deal with them, and face his guilt. The way you set up this blog is something new to me that I have not seen yet. I like how you went along and listed things about Amir's life, and included quotes with that. You did a nice job with this. I love how you incorporated your own opinion and advice for what you believe Amir should do in your last paragraph. "Move on! Focus on what you can control, and try to forget what you can't" is a very inspirational and moving quote to include, that I can completely relate to. I agree that that is what Amir should in fact do. I absolutely loved this blog. It was so you.

    ReplyDelete