The first quality the website tackles is people who become heroes tend to be concerned with the well-being of others. In the Help, there were two characters who demonstrated deep concern towards others. These people are named Aibileen and Skeeter.
Skeeter,on the other hand, is a whole hearted, intelligent, and brave woman. The fourth quality of a hero is being skilled enough to make a difference and Skeeter certainly possesses this quality. Skeeter might not be seen as a hero in the first chapters of the book because she only stumbled upon the unfairness in her town due to her desire of finding a unique topic to get a job. But as she conducts more of the interviews with the volunteered maids and becomes more closer to them -especially Aibileen-, Skeeter starts to transform into more of a hero rather than an ambitious journalist. The more she hears about the maid's stories, the more she realizes how little she knows, and the more she wants to help the helps and hate her fellow white people.
Heroes persist, even in the face of fear and Skeeter certainly does live up to that quality. As the story progresses, Skeeter pursues in finishing up her eye-opening book which reveals the reality and mistreatments of the Helps. By doing this, Skeeter was not only risking her job, family, love life and social class, she was also risking her own life.
Although you can consider Aibileen and the other maids who volunteered to share their experiences about the white's cruelty towards the blacks as heroes, Skeeter is still the person who demonstrates the most heroism in the text. Why? Because Skeeter's book becomes a stepping stone in revealing and hopefully breaking the predetermined fate of the blacks -- which was to remain as outcasts/helps in the society forever.


This blog post when I first saw it, I was automatically attracted to it and wanted to read it because of the different pictures that stood out. I also liked how you explained how a super hero didn't have super powers. I also thought of putting that kind of idea in my blog but did not end up doing so. Another thing that stood out is how you chose two people to prove their heroism. The only thing I would suggest is to proofread before finishing, there were minimal grammatical errors. But other than that it was a great post.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the emphasis you placed on the importance of a hero's desire to help others. That is truly the crux of heroism. While some are more successful at being a hero due to their skills and perseverance, the unifying factor among all heroes is their dedication to others' well-being. Skeeter, Aibileen, Minny, and the other maids who volunteered to share their stories clearly demonstrate dedication to advancing the status of blacks in Alabaman society. The only point I would dispute would be the claim that Skeeter is the most heroic. While her book did open the door who change, we should not judge acts of heroism based on the effect they have, but rather the bravery shown by the hero.
ReplyDeleteThe most important point that captured my attention was the background:) It is really awesome. The other things like, pictures, links,highlighting the words, are your keys for a successful blog.Your personal definition about heroes " I, you, or someone else can be a hero in our own little ways" made me focus on -what will be next? I like the idea how you separate the 2 characters in between, Aibileen and Skeeter, writing small paragraphs for each of them apart.Great job.
ReplyDeleteThis blog was very good, and I especially liked the way you talked about Aibileen being a hero to Mae Mobley. Before I read this blog I thought of Aibileen being a hero because she risked so much in her life by telling her stories in order to bring light to the situation in Jackson. However, with Mae Mobley she needed someone in her life; and not only was Aibileen so influential in Mea Mobley’s life but also the lives of all the other children she looked after.
ReplyDeleteI liked how you started off saying that heroes don't have literal super powers and save countless people but are average. I also like how in depth you went in explaining what a hero means to you beyond that. You included the basic point that heroes are concerned with how others are doing, usually if someone does something heroic but with the intentions of helping themselves their not really considered heroes. I think this idea is very important. I also liked how detailed you were when writing about Aibileen and Skeeter. The way you wrote about Skeeter really showed how her intentions changed throughout the book and explains her character very well. I think your blog post was very well written except for some grammatical errors in Aibileen's paragraph and the last paragraph.
ReplyDelete